View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Judging live-stream VODs 

Post Judging live-stream VODs
Thought you guys who actually made the deadline would be interested in this.
One of the judges (from Ready up Radio) is livestreaming his Judging impressions. A few maps done so far, more to come:
http://www.twitch.tv/readyupradio/profi ... Broadcasts

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Post Re: Judging live-stream VODs
Blah.

Last edited by smiker on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:41 am
Profile WWW

I like nineX's feedbacks. He pay a lots of attention to the details and definitively show that he has the experience to judge them. Also, we got to give him credits for casting it live because I know for a fact that it is not everybody that would be able to pull that off properly.

My only concern about his CTF Background was that he seemed to favor the CPMA style for it. While I would agree that for most gametypes CPMA is superior, I would say that in CTF the CPMA physic actually deteriorate the gameplay merlely due to the fact that CTF maps often have plenty of spaces and are not won by fragging the opponent. In summary, any CTF games played in CPMA physic by decent players will end up being silly due to the escape speed being so fast that the defenders cannot even react to it.

This can basically only prevented by either removing the special physic or blocking every sections by some special means.

As for the QL maps, yeah, I had foreseen some of the problems occurring since it is usually a competition for Q3 only and having both mixed would easily generate this kind of problem. Fortunately, it seems that in the end, everybody were able to access the maps without too much issues.

As a side note, I heard nineX saying that he didn't like the original texture sets..... I hope hes not going to kill me loool!

I am looking forward the next videos, thanks Crayfish for mentioning it over here because I would probably enough never have seen it.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 am

~_~

Last edited by smiker on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW

Well to be honest, I would say that not every map include the arena file and that it is always much more easier to simply load them via the console, if it works in the practice menu, it will work from there too.

Also, if I remember correctly, the arena file is shared so if you have multiple custom maps, most will not even appear in the menu anyway due to the file being overwritten by the other maps.

In the end, I will just say that before releasing a map, you should test them on clean installs. Yes that mean destroying your perfect mapping environment but if you don't want anybody struggling with the map, it is worth it.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Agreed, except on
ShaZe wrote:
...you should test them on clean installs...

Because that's my normal procedure, at fact i have ANOTHER PARTITION to test maps, apart from the developing quake3...

As I already said in my map's post, there is a safe way to play my map, and it is a fresh clean install. No news there.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

According to your other post, you are testing it on a mod and not a vanilla clean install, which can cause your shader to be supported with the mod but not with the core engine.

I was also getting the same issue as all the others with my perfectly clean install when I decided to check out the final map pack and the only way I successfully loaded it was by following kaustic's advice to delete the shader file.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:05 pm

A clean install consists of - Install q3a from the disc, install pointrelease 1.32 and that's it. I have
a ui mod I use but it in no way effects anything besides the User Interface.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 pm

-.-

Last edited by smiker on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile WWW

There is also a good interview with Cityy here from the recent Prague TDM lan, hosted by Zoot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_keU2xBJMWU

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:27 pm

FERDI \o/ :D

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 pm

NineX Video Comments were nice in the end, does somebody know what did happen to them?

If anybody still wants to take a look to the videos, I can upload them to youtube...

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]