View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ice Cathedral by Bliccer - Blicethdral Beta 

Post Ice Cathedral by Bliccer - Blicethdral Beta
Ok what the h...
I don't think I will have time to do this, but before joining date is over I will just sign up...
I will see and I'm more than willing to do smth... always getting a push seeing this forum!
So I am going again for a tourney map...

Bernd "Bliccer" Macht
bliccersmailbox at web dot de (or the mail you have, mav)
tourney or 2on2... depends on my first blocking actually...

Blicethdral Beta (Judging version)

Last edited by Bliccer on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am

Post Re: Signup anamewhichwillbecreatedattheend Tourney
Realyyyyyyy? :)

Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Okay I guess I#ve got a concept now... will block it out in a min. Or am I only allowed to start when the sign up ends?
I will go for a more juxtaposed project: Tourneymap, old cathedral combined with new spacey architecture, parts packed into alienbrood, everything in an icy cave... *cough*
LETS DO IT!

Mon May 21, 2012 5:04 pm

You can do rough sketches / drafts before the competition begins, but you will not be allowed to work in the actual editor until the start of the competition on June 2nd.

Concept sounds neat btw.

Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 am

Post Re: Ice Cathedral by Bliccer
I wish I could have blocked out my lvl already... but my drafts don't fit into the game. So I have to redo everything. Main concept is okay, though.
Need to get other stuff finished first!
A small sneak peak can be found in my first week's secret word ;D

Attachments:
blic_glhf.jpg
blic_glhf.jpg [ 145.46 KiB | Viewed 5829 times ]
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 pm

So here it is. First alpha version.
HF@testing

Attachments:
blic_mav4_alpha1.zip [295.55 KiB]
Downloaded 230 times
Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Looks good so far...

A couple notes:
1) Scale feels a little too big. This is a personal preference thing, but it maybe could be tightened up a little in spots.
2) The water is kind of weird - it hurts, but since there is a Power Up in there, you are clearly supposed to go in there.
3) No rail? It would be very strong on an open map like this, but I feel like its necessary.
4) The pk3 is a different file name than the bsp. I had to open your pk3 to find out the name of the map to load :)

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:50 am

StormShadow wrote:
Looks good so far...

A couple notes:
1) Scale feels a little too big. This is a personal preference thing, but it maybe could be tightened up a little in spots.
2) The water is kind of weird - it hurts, but since there is a Power Up in there, you are clearly supposed to go in there.
3) No rail? It would be very strong on an open map like this, but I feel like its necessary.
4) The pk3 is a different file name than the bsp. I had to open your pk3 to find out the name of the map to load :)

Seconded everything minus the statement about rail. The scale is way too large - half the size would be enough in a lot of places. I suggest you focus on scaling the map down and maybe adding some vertical elements to the MH room for now.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 am
Profile WWW

Thanks to u 2:
1) in some spots maybe... some corridors can be more narrow.
2) It's cold, ice water. That's why you get a reward if you swim along.
3) items are mainly my problem anyway... always gt annoyed when I have to place them :D
4) sorry for this.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am

Nothing. Doubt I can edit anything :/

Attachments:
weeK_2.jpg
weeK_2.jpg [ 466.62 KiB | Viewed 5672 times ]
Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:39 pm

And suddenly I had time again (fu uni projects ;D)
So, here is Alpha#2.
Focus as always:
Layout
Item placement
spawnpoints

Attachments:
blic_mav4_alpha2.zip [318.42 KiB]
Downloaded 234 times
Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:50 am

Post Re: Ice Cathedral by Bliccer - Alpha#2
Hm. Seems like the layout is totally off, otherwise someone would test it?

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:06 am

Hey had a long runaround now. I only read the previous comments AFTER I'd made up my mind about the map (hadn't looked at the first alpha either). I'd also typed pretty much all of this post before I even checked to see previous opinions...

With the weapons you've made available I think it all seems too big. Some ideas:

- The ledge in the RA/RL room leading to the little group of 4 steps should be narrower so that rockets might actually have a chance of hitting someone if they're fired down on it, or plasma spam could be used lengthways down it, at the moment that whole room will be dominated by LG and it'll be almost pointless for anyone to ever switch weapons except for hiding the sound. I'd think similarly about narrowing some of the other areas a little so that rockets and grenades can have a use. My rough guide is that I make 'narrow' areas so that when stood on one side of a corridor, a rocket fired at the facing wall does the slightest amount of damage to you. For 'wide' corridors I use the basis of a rocket fired into the middle of it should do slight damage to someone on the side.
- Maybe with some of the corridors you could add a stepped level on one side or add vertical columns or physical barriers like rocks or lumps of ice...whatever... something to narrow them in certain parts just to make them less of a wide corridor and more interesting areas to fight in for weapons other than LG.
- Bring in the edges of the ice area to make it U or V shaped because the corner parts at the moment are completely wasted space.
- Doorways should imo be more constricted areas in comparison to the corridors they open into, not sure if it's just because it's an alpha, but they should be closing in a lot more which will also help with making areas more distinct and be more interesting to fight around.

I visually like the plasma staircase, but it does lead to two awkward areas either side... basically death traps, which could be made a feature by putting some lava, slime or voids there but for now they just look a bit like dead space. Alternatively you could fill them with some columns to provide cover for people going round the back of the room.

About the item/weapon spawns:
- RL is fine, a nice high area where you can spam it down on people (if u narrow that ledge as well it'd be even better.)
- SG is SG so meh, could put that anywhere xD
- GL seems out of place, think maybe swap that with something else and move it to an area where it'll be useful... though that might be fine if you close up the rest of the areas and corridors.
- Maybe swap the plasma and MH?
- Not sure about having LG soooo far away from the action since it'll be the dominant weapon on this map unless you add rail.

Final point, could you include a shader file for your water next time, I couldn't actually use some of the entrances into the tunnels without /noclip just bounced around on the surface unless I fell from a height.

:)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:10 am

zOMG THANK U Pollenski \o/
like aehm... 2weeks of delay, my double feature of weekly words is in the attachment.
I already wrote down some more stuff for the layout but haven't had time yet to transfer 'em from paper into the editor... BUT TODAY! FU again university projects...
Kay bla, slept too less or too long dunno, talkin' too much grabage. Still no textures... BUT IDEAS where I want to get at... dunno if they work out, tho.
Don't forget to read the interview on m0ddb or to download the latest Commander Keen trilogy (7+8+9 = http://www.moddb.com/mods/commander-kee ... the-brains) or Nitronic Rush (http://www.moddb.com/games/nitronic-rus ... e-released)! Awesum
PEAZ

Attachments:
double.jpg
double.jpg [ 233.12 KiB | Viewed 5519 times ]
Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 am

Finally I could go on a bit and tried to detail some doors.
Furthermore you can see my very first gamemodel I've created *sniff* :P (icacavewall), and my edited MH room (since it was really way too opened).
Also everything get's an icy cold touch now by that first ice texture... actually it looks better ingame :D

Attachments:
bicenew_4.jpg
bicenew_4.jpg [ 93.54 KiB | Viewed 5430 times ]
bicenew_3.jpg
bicenew_3.jpg [ 50.77 KiB | Viewed 5430 times ]
bicenew_2.jpg
bicenew_2.jpg [ 73.38 KiB | Viewed 5430 times ]
bicenew_1.jpg
bicenew_1.jpg [ 124.9 KiB | Viewed 5430 times ]
Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next