Re: Ice Cathedral by Bliccer - Alpha#2
Hey had a long runaround now. I only read the previous comments AFTER I'd made up my mind about the map (hadn't looked at the first alpha either). I'd also typed pretty much all of this post before I even checked to see previous opinions...
With the weapons you've made available I think it all seems too big. Some ideas:
- The ledge in the RA/RL room leading to the little group of 4 steps should be narrower so that rockets might actually have a chance of hitting someone if they're fired down on it, or plasma spam could be used lengthways down it, at the moment that whole room will be dominated by LG and it'll be almost pointless for anyone to ever switch weapons except for hiding the sound. I'd think similarly about narrowing some of the other areas a little so that rockets and grenades can have a use. My rough guide is that I make 'narrow' areas so that when stood on one side of a corridor, a rocket fired at the facing wall does the slightest amount of damage to you. For 'wide' corridors I use the basis of a rocket fired into the middle of it should do slight damage to someone on the side.
- Maybe with some of the corridors you could add a stepped level on one side or add vertical columns or physical barriers like rocks or lumps of ice...whatever... something to narrow them in certain parts just to make them less of a wide corridor and more interesting areas to fight in for weapons other than LG.
- Bring in the edges of the ice area to make it U or V shaped because the corner parts at the moment are completely wasted space.
- Doorways should imo be more constricted areas in comparison to the corridors they open into, not sure if it's just because it's an alpha, but they should be closing in a lot more which will also help with making areas more distinct and be more interesting to fight around.
I visually like the plasma staircase, but it does lead to two awkward areas either side... basically death traps, which could be made a feature by putting some lava, slime or voids there but for now they just look a bit like dead space. Alternatively you could fill them with some columns to provide cover for people going round the back of the room.
About the item/weapon spawns:
- RL is fine, a nice high area where you can spam it down on people (if u narrow that ledge as well it'd be even better.)
- SG is SG so meh, could put that anywhere xD
- GL seems out of place, think maybe swap that with something else and move it to an area where it'll be useful... though that might be fine if you close up the rest of the areas and corridors.
- Maybe swap the plasma and MH?
- Not sure about having LG soooo far away from the action since it'll be the dominant weapon on this map unless you add rail.
Final point, could you include a shader file for your water next time, I couldn't actually use some of the entrances into the tunnels without /noclip just bounced around on the surface unless I fell from a height.