View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PhloCTF1 by Jim 'Phlogiston' Pollen [ALPHA] 

Post Re: QLCTF1 by Jim 'Phlogiston' Pollen
Using 1.6.2, but it was the same for me on 1.4. Most likely some hardware issue which'll never get resolved since I'm running Win 7 on an imac - means that neither Windows boffins nor Mac genii want to touch it :)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 pm

One step backwards spending my whole session realigning walls and deleting floors

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 pm

they disapear for me as well, i think its quiet nice actually, heh. they are in the way alot of the time imo xD
i get them back when i use the clipper tool anyway so no problem really.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah it's not so much a hassle, and at least it reminds me to save often :)

Completely moved everything around, threw in some random light sources and hit compile...

Much happier with the new layout (ty for feedback muffin), although probably a bit rail heavy since it's completely opened up now, so gonna have a nice TDM-invoking single rail spawn somewhere in mid with minimal ammo in the base.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:21 am

Post Re: PhlogCTF1 by Jim 'Phlogiston' Pollen
Getting very close to alpha build now - bases pretty much complete layout-wise, but a lot of work in mid needed still to break up the open upper area as well as add some mobility from low to high.

Last edited by phlogiston on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:09 am

Post Re: PhlogCTF1 by Jim 'Phlogiston' Pollen
I really enjoy how the flag base looks from what I can see from that screeny. I'm exited to see it when it it more fleshed out. *thumbs up*

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:48 am

Post Re: PhloCTF1 by Jim 'Phlogiston' Pollen [ALPHA]
Ty Dervish, unfortunately I'll be working on getting the flow right through mid for quite a while before I can start detailing. Also that view from the right entrance is definitely the best view of the base, the left entrance is very bland at the moment and the centre is half bland, half interesting xD

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Alpha 2: Lower level in mid basic brushwork complete, curved up a lot of the wall areas, slightly redid the flag area (oops forgot to copy over to blue)

http://www.mediafire.com/?6w6bp2wcepgv8d8

- The YA and RL ammo should still be up on the top level near LG as before but I deleted them whilst working on the wall areas and forgot to put them back. Also the flag areas will be extended so the jump to ledge is possible since I deleted those back stairs.

Currently working on: (this section is more to remind me than to inform others xD)
- making the right exit more geometrically interesting and creating a better fighting area around the high bubbles and YA on that route
- boxing in mid as an enclosed space and making doorways instead of just holes in walls throughout

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 am

dead link?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 am

Ok, a quite a few problems here for me:
- it is too open and too short; I can't really make out any explicit structure, look into trying to developing a real base-perimeter-mid layout by closing areas off a bit; I guess most of this is because you didn't build using 64units as default width for walls :PP - this also makes the level really rail heavy
- the flag position makes it hard if not impossible to grab the flag, look into placing it on the ground level or maximum 16-24 units above it
- the acid/lava is a major flow breaker, throw in a few rocks to make it easier to cross it; most people would RJ out and use the high route anyway

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 am
Profile WWW

Yeah it's a very basic, open layout for now, although I'd been purposefully keeping it minimal until I decided on an overlying theme for detailing, which I kind of decided in my sleep last night... I won't spoil the surprise until I've finished a couple more days of roughly filling in some details except by mentioning the working title as 'Flags for the Flag God'. These details should also mark a clear base/mid perimeter in that mid will have a ceiling and doorways in/out whilst the bases will be open to the sky.

For the lava/slime I completely agree that something needs to be added as that whole area seems a little wasted, some stepping stones will be a good addition but Im also thinking of making that higher route accessible from the shards without an RJ.

Yep, flag area is being rejigged so that it's more accessible and easier to exit to the higher level.

Next alpha should be a big step :)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Well I've had no progress for a week due to my phoneline dying concurrently with me uninstalling GTK1.4 (I was using 1.62) but this killed my copy of 1.62 and I've yet to remedy the situation... hopefully going to get it sorted in the next day or two so I can continue work... till then, gonna drink beer and look at what the rest of you have been upto :)

FWIW here's a screeny with the weekly word of where I'd made it to before systems failure

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:22 am

New alpha up with some beginnings of detail and lighting to emerge although most of the work I've done since getting up and running was boxing in mid and making separate sky boxes for each base and most of the lighting is just point-lighting-filler so you can find your way about

Lots more detailing on the way and I'm gonna start messing about with different textures and shaders soon enough but first I want to get it into a playable beta and have some actual teams running about...

Any feedback welcome, do as I do and get drunk before posting so you're blunt and to the point, be critical please :)

Oh and wow:

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Just to confirm that my map ain't gonna make the cut off date cuz of RL demands slowing me down - shame I had the tech issues before when I had more time to work on it :(

I'll keep on working through and update you all when I finish it though

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2