View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:25 am

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 phantq3dm5 by Tom 'Phantazm11' Perryman 

phantq3dm5 by Tom 'Phantazm11' Perryman
What the hay...

Tom 'Phantazm11' Perryman
Mode: FFA
Map Name: Solarium
phantazm11@gmail.com
http://www.phantazm11.com

Last edited by phantazm11 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:32 am

Re: phantq3dm5
WOAH

Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 am

Re: phantq3dm5 by Tom 'Phantazm11' Perryman
Oh noez!

Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 am

oh, you guys... :P

Tue May 15, 2012 3:10 am

SECRET WORD!

edit: Also updated the Map Information in the first post.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:23 am

Alpha 1, if anyone is interested in checking it out:

SOLARIUM ALPHA 1

Let me know what you think!

Disclaimer: Yes, I know there is no ceiling in the map :D

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 am

Well, I can't think of much to complain about, gameplay or layout-wise! The layout seems solid already, being very vertical, tight, and connected. Item placement seems pretty balanced as well.

Only things I can really think of, that are about on nitpicking level, would be:

- The RA and MH may be very, very slightly too accessible / on a short path from one another? Though they are still separated by a curved hallway, so it wouldn't hurt much the way it is. If you want to take the safe side, however, you can quickly swap the MH / LG positions, so the LG is lower from the MH.

- The quad area, though very well designed (I'd love to see how the terrain turns out in the end!) is a bit confined, preventing spread-out fights over it. Again, this is very nitpicky and only really necessary to change if you want to make it more competitive, but the gameplay is pretty good already so I wouldn't be too concerned about this. But if you want, you could open up a bit of space behind it while keeping the terrain structure next to it intact, without widening it or whatever.

Whatever you're doing right now, you're doing fantastic as usual. So what theme do you have in mind? From the name and design, it seems like it'd end up being a mixture of organic and tech / industrial, which sounds quite interesting. Keep us posted and keep up the good work!

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:14 am

Layout looks good but I got a few concerns about the small scale you are deploying as well as about the item layout.
The scale is good in a few places and bad in others. E.g. the small and tight corridors between RA and MH or RA and Quad are great because you don't want players to just rush through there. The tightness causes maximum splash damage danger and is a great thing. Though, in some places, like the Quad room or the RA room I feel like you should extend the scale a bit to allow for more flexible fights. I think you could also get rid of the center pillar/building in the MH room or at least decrease the size so the lower entrance still has some cover; the lower level feels highly awkward here though. You could probably remove the teleporter in there as you still have the staircase path up.
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how the level would play in a real match. Probably one team commiting 2 or 3 players to RA/RG/RL which makes the underwater path as a sneaky entrance rather useless and the other team defenitely sitting on MH/LG/YA maybe getting a lot of RLs too which I'd say gives them a defenite advantage on items sooner or later allowing them to eventually peak into the red room and take over.
The team on red has a vertical advantage on the QD but I don't think they'd be able to profit much from it as there is not really a way to get out of the quad room not dying (mostly due to the scale you use in the quad area and for the hallways around it).

So, here are my suggestions:
- Quad Damage should be where LG is now, that position offers cover but also offers a fair bit of options for attacks (peak in from PG with RG, come from the current YA position, maybe RJ in from below); maybe also add another high route in from the current RA room
- place MH where Quad is now
- YA where red is now
- red at the lower RL (remove the YA above)
- A set of shards/a GA/another YA at current LG room
- LG at high RL (change the TP from current Quad to a lift; remove 2nd RL)
- the RG water should be hard to see through or not transparent at all; alternatively you could give the RG some cover or change its position; it should not be possible to constantly have an eye on it sitting on the current QD position while being easy to access from the underwater route

It was kinda tough to come up with an alternative layout.. I don't think you have many options here without changing the geometry.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 am

Good so far! Good blend of tightness and larger, open areas.

I feel like mega and Quad should switch. The MH spot is a good area for quad sine its open, and there are a bunch of good approaches. This would encourage some great fights for quad. Especially if you had a different TP lead to the LG right above it.

The current quad area seems a bit easier to control for TDM for a few reasons - there aren't as many good approaches, and the team controlling that room would most likely also control rail.

There are a couple corridors on either side of PG that feel a little long.

Gj!

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 am

Great feedback guys. Thanks a lot for taking the time to look at this.

I will try to fix these issues this weekend :)

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 am

BTW, any suggestions on the Teleporter entrance in the current MH Room?

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Hopefully I will have another alpha version sometime tomorrow. :D

Attachment:
secret_word_week_2.jpg
secret_word_week_2.jpg [ 413.06 KiB | Viewed 6315 times ]

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:53 am

Alpha 2 is now available.

Download

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:34 pm

As soon as I get Quake 3 installed again, I will butcher this for you.

You're welcome. <3

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:
[14:12] <@Maverick|MSG> I had to mix the meat by hand

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40 am

ANTHEM!

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:15 am
   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next