View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 "Lost Paradise" by Despair - [FINAL] 

Post Re: TBD by Despair - [Alpha\Beta 4]
Nope CZghost, that's wrong.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:46 pm
Profile WWW

First up - IMO the defenders are gonna need bit more health near the flag. Only the one bubble in the same room and then the couple in the regen room - yeah they *could* have regen/ra/medkit all in the nearish area, but a little bit to restock up after a skirmish would be nice. Maybe swap the high 25 near regen for the RL ammo near flag.

As mainly a competitive pickup player I find it a little too claustrophobic with too many routes (need 4 binds to specify which way an enemy is escaping to mid), but it'd be great for larger teamsize pub games, idk if you had a player count in mind, but I'd definitely lean towards filling out the map with 5/6-a-side and so would probably be doubling up the health in most areas, either by swapping the 25's for 50's or adding a second spawn where appropriate.

Other than that, I already know this map is gonna trounce me on the visuals side of things, looking very nice even at this stage :))

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 am

Well, there are 2 25s below flag on RA/water level, i suspect you may have missed those :). I'll move one up to the mid level of flag room to balance it out a bit better. Also, i think i will add another 25 to the PG room on the ground level, as there is nothing for any flag runners exiting that way. That gives 75 health in flag room, and 50 in either side room. i think that should be more than enough health for base. I don't want the defenders to be able to just sit and tank up all game. Gotta give the other team some opportunities.

I agree that there are some tight spots in the map, but i can't say i feel claustrophobic anywhere. There are a number of connections between routes, but in reality, there is only 2 main routes into mid, high and low. Due to the large speed difference, i wouldn't consider the water exits a main route. I can't say i'm concerned about binds either tbh, as almost everyone that i've seen these days uses mumble or other voice programs.

As for player count, 4v4 is what is intended. It is obviously open enough to support more, but competition is the goal, and 4v4 is where that is. That being said, there are 6 initial spawns for each team, so more than 4v4 will be possible no problem, just items will perhaps be a little thin in those games.

Glad you like the looks so far. I just hope i can pull off what i have in my head :D. Thanks for the input.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:43 am

Found them!!! cg_simpleitems 1 makes them almost disappear under the water lol
OK then - there's enough health in the base ^^

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:30 am

So, I've pretty much decided to finalize the layout, or, at least, as far as geometry goes. I'm pretty satisfied with the current item layout. I think the weapon layout is decent as well, but it's hard to say for sure without playing a real game. So, figured i'd let weapon/item locations stew for a while, and get working on details. Here's a few screenshots on that end.

Week 3 Screenshot:
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 497.81 KiB | Viewed 14668 times ]

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 am

That looks really nice. Reminds me of dONKEY's Angkor Wat CTF map from the second competition. Good luck with it.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 am

P0rn!

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks. It is inspired by Angkor Wat and other Cambodian ruins like dONKEY's map. I had completely forgotten about his however. Had me worried for a sec that i'd inadvertantly copied it's style. :lol:

Anyway. Detailing is progressing well. Figured I'd put up another beta. Original DL link updated.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 am

Week 4 Screenshot:
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 394.18 KiB | Viewed 14573 times ]

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 am

Week 5 Screenshot
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 415.03 KiB | Viewed 14514 times ]

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Week 6 screenshot
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 423.11 KiB | Viewed 14471 times ]

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 pm

nice work, did you make those tree models yourself?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks. The models are all sock's though. I don't know how to model unfortunately, though i'd like to learn eventually.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:37 pm

If you have enough money to register MilkShape 3D, there is some chance to learn easy way to create a model and export it straight to md3 by a quake control file (*.qc)...

After you finish the model, select Tools > Quake 3 Arena > Create control file and save it whenever you whish to save the final model as <yourmodelname>.qc - then edit all bitmaps to bitmaps you whished to use and model path/name to models/<yourmodelpath>/<yourmodelname>.md3 - save it and select File > Export > Quake 3 Arena MD3 and save it as <yourmodelname>.md3 in same directory as <yourmodelname>.qc (it should be <yourbasemodelpath>/models/<yourmodelpath>/)... Make sure the model has correct name and bitmaps inside by opening it in text editor (modelname and bitmaps are raw text data)...

Bitmaps should be simple shaders or textures for use within the model. Make sure you have placed .tga or .jpg after shader name... For preventing missing texture... If the shader haven't name of base texture, make sure you have defined that texture in qer_editorimage keyword...

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Have to say, really starting to look sweet.
Never thought for one second you were copying my Angkor the Flag map, from what I see a very different feel altogether :)
I would encourage you to at least learn some basic model making skills, even under idtech3, models can be extremely useful. It''s no harder, and in some cases much easier to create geometry in a model app than in Radiant. Sure the interface and workflow are different, but still rewarding.
On a side note...can't really understand why Milkshape would be a good idea. Blender (if you don't have access to Maya or Max) is 100% free, more powerful and has a massive support community. I can't really see the point in md3 format either, unless you want to make player models. ASE is the way to go.
Anyway, great stuff, loving the screen shots so far :)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next