View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Competition feedback 

Post Re: Competition feedback
Quote:
-Map must contain each of the unmodified sponsor images on the map walls

http://mapping.maverickservers.com/

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Profile WWW

I agree with those saying that the banners don't fit in too well with the maps. Some kind of billboard detail blended in the shaders like QL has would possibly make them fit into the environments a lot better. Right now they're just unattractive, flat-looking logos that really don't look like they're part of the maps and don't do the sponsors much justice either. Maybe a few different designs (done by the sponsors themselves, of course) that go beyond just plain logos and look like actual billboard designs with colorful backgrounds etc would be both beneficial to both the sponsors and the maps.

The gallery idea would be great on the main competition page. A mere list of the winning maps isn't too interesting to visitors.

Map naming conventions might benefit from a 'mav' somewhere in the name. I think I saw that suggested in a previous competition and I thought it might give a bit of order to the map names, and allow participants to name them seperately from their non-competition maps.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I agree with MuffinMan about the ads. Just allowing the competitors to put in a "reflective" environment map shader would make the ads look a lot less bright and over-garish. Being able to use see-through, nonsolid holographic ads like in some QL arenas (particularly the space ones) would also be a plus if you can fit an ad somewhere where it can be viewed from both sides. (such as between two columns) Plus, if Quake Live did it, why not here? If several companies which advertised in QL were comfortable with that, I don`t see why it should be a problem here. (And in fact, QL has to deal with it on a much larger scale)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 am

Maverick wrote:

The test servers that were available are there IF people decide to use them. Every judge is different and judges in their own way; they are not forced to use a specific server.

I think, its not enough -
playin offline and alone -
to judge all aspects of a map ...
esp. when some things dont work,
and the judges dont even know,
what and why ...

This competitions aim is, to finish 1 mapPack ...
thats not ment for lonely players and bots,
but for online battles!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:44 pm

InsaneKid wrote:
Maverick wrote:

The test servers that were available are there IF people decide to use them. Every judge is different and judges in their own way; they are not forced to use a specific server.

I think, its not enough -
playin offline and alone -
to judge all aspects of a map ...
esp. when some things dont work,
and the judges dont even know,
what and why ...

This competitions aim is, to finish 1 mapPack ...
thats not ment for lonely players and bots,
but for online battles!

I've been playing this game for 8 years. I understand the game play fairly well. I also have a fair amount of experience in judging the layout of maps in single player (go look at some of the older maps at Q3W). I agree, it's wrong for a judge not to understand a map, which is partially why I originally wanted the .map files to be released with the map. That was not done this contest, however, but I was still able to understand your map, for instance, due to the forums and because I made something similar to it before.

Regardless, the judging is fine.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:
[14:12] <@Maverick|MSG> I had to mix the meat by hand

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:18 am

What kind of similar thing?

What they wanna judge usin the map-file,
if they are players, but no mappers?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 pm

I agree designers should be able to modify the ads, regardless, this time around rules were rules and should have been adhered to.

As for judging...well, it's always gonna be subjective.
I do kind of agree with Anthem on the map file aspect. Some of the maps placed quite well had pretty poor build quality.
You know it's always a thing...technical quality vs aesthetic vs game play. That balance is always going to be subjective and pretty much down to the judges.
No sour grapes on my part. I liked my level and I deliberately built it that way for my own personal reasons, not really caring if anybody else bought into it or not. I know the type of detail and atmosphere I can create, and have demonstrated it in the past. It was a conscious decision not to do that here.

What irks me slightly is the build quality aspect, but at the end of the day, it's a game, it's a hobby and it's down to opinion.

On the other hand, for sure the best two maps were placed in the top two places.
For me Phant's map visually is a classic. No debate. The only slight criticism is bot performance, which if given a little more time I'm sure he would have nailed.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Another thing i noticed is,
that theres huge amount of posts
about this comp and esp. maps
on other forums, that dont participate in this ...

i dont mind, if mappers with website
do this on their own pages ...
but it produces a cloud of interest/contest,
that not all participants can follow!

Edit:
it also has smth of "publishin" ...
but the maps actually mustnt be published before!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:38 pm

I put this together a couple days ago...

That's got the original adbanner, a QL billboard style banner and a nonsolid hologram banner. They're a little high-res right now so it couls be a bit of a perfrmance hit on slower machines.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1tk6gzj5h ... banner.zip

My opinion is that you get some brilliant works of art resulting from this competition, and they're forced to have flat, vector logos slapped on them which just ruins the looks of the maps. There are creative ways to integrate ad banners into maps so that you represent Maverick Servers and your sponsors in a good way and keep the maps themselves looking great.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 pm
Site Admin

InsaneKid wrote:
Another thing i noticed is,
that theres huge amount of posts
about this comp and esp. maps
on other forums, that dont participate in this ...

i dont mind, if mappers with website
do this on their own pages ...
but it produces a cloud of interest/contest,
that not all participants can follow!

Edit:
it also has smth of "publishin" ...
but the maps actually mustnt be published before!

Is this good or bad? I'm not sure how you'd be able to control what other people do with their maps or how people discuss the maps elsewhere.

I'm sure I've stated it before, but you were more than welcome to get feedback from anyone (regardless of whether they were in the competition or not).

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 pm

yeah ummm what? you dont want us talking on other forums??? come on man. thats not gonna happen. ir confuse insanekid

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am

its just unfair ...
esp. if even judges are influenced
by this kind of wide commercial ...
creatin a big fan-cloud (includin the judges) ...
esp. if only 1 or 2 participants use this method!

its ok, to make post about the competition itself ...
but not about (single) maps, i think!

The competition, the discussion and the workin
should take place here ...not somewhere else!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Another thing i didnt like, was
changin (or bringin in new) rules
during! the competition!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 pm
Site Admin

No offense InsaneKid, but this competition isn't the Fight Club where we can't talk about it. If people want to publicize or hype their maps for testing or to get people excited then so be it, the more attention the better. There isn't a feasible or effective way to control this, nor is there a real reason to.

The judges are mature adults and are able to differentiate between a map's hype/publicity and a map's quality.

Quote:
Another thing i didnt like, was
changin (or bringin in new) rules
during! the competition!

Which ones? Be specific.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Getting other peoples opinions on a map when you're making it is, and has always been part of mapping, you could even say it counts as a skill, so I'd get used to it if I were you :) theres nothing stopping you from doing the same. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed...

Also I didn't hype my map up, in fact it was more the opposite, I pretty much hid it for the whole comp (not really by choice, just didnt get round to it), and I came 3rd so obviously the judges aren't influenced by "hype". I think its not very nice to say that about the judges.

Last edited by bst on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next