View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Roman Duel by Bliccer and DaEngineer 

Post Re: Roman Duel by Bliccer (working title)
I played around on it vs a bot.

The thing that stands out to me is that there is just a lot of "stuff" cramping up the map a bit. I assume you are going to noclip the trim on the walls and clip around the columns and stuff all over the map so that all those little ramps all over the place don't bounce the players around while they try to play. Another example is the stairs leading up to the shotgun beneath the torch thing: the little ramps on each side of the stairs stick up above the floor and I feel like they just get in the way. There's also the small stair thing at the pit surrounding mega that just makes it hard to jump across for no reason.

Another thing that's been mentioned already is the big open space below the small hole to mega health is just begging for there to be something there that you can use to jump into the hole.

It's hard to talk about item balance without playing a lot of games against a person, but I'm curious why there's no grenade launcher. Maybe put GL where RL is, RL where SG is, and move SG somewhere else? Just throwing out ideas :)

Other than that, I think it has potential to be a pretty fun map. Keep at it!

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:58 am

Thanks for the reply. Clips are already noted, yes. And I've already enlargen the clip on the mh-stairs, so it's much more easier now to jump around on it.
If the RL is at the SG place it feels to dominant imo. GL isn't there... because. :D Na, well, I'm still not sure about weaponplacement. Maybe I switch PG with LG and put a GL there instead. So that the LG lies next to the RA and the GL is good for "spaming" down onto the YA.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Yo, the new jumppad did indeed feel alright. To restore the connection from RA to upper level you could do a simular thing like you did at the MH.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 pm
Profile WWW

One important thing: I will upload my map this night so you can test it tomorrow...

Good that wood in ancient Rome was fireproof... (flames in logo and such...)

Attachments:
word_5.jpg
word_5.jpg [ 107.51 KiB | Viewed 11484 times ]
Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 pm

So here is the final prebeta/beta. Dunno :D
Please delete all old versions of my map before you load this one up:

rombli_beta.pk3

- Please again comment on item placement!
- light (too dark/ too bright...center is too bright atm :D)
- new routes... etc.

I know not very prof. screenshots (no no draw2d)

Attachments:
shot0007.jpg
shot0007.jpg [ 90.94 KiB | Viewed 11480 times ]
shot0006.jpg
shot0006.jpg [ 98.55 KiB | Viewed 11480 times ]
shot0005.jpg
shot0005.jpg [ 109.79 KiB | Viewed 11480 times ]
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 am

The theme is really starting to become very strong and believable. Item placement looked fine, but ofc play against humans will reveal the most problems. I kind of miss the trick jump required to get the MH from the back, but the rubble does make more sense and it doesn`t take away from gameplay really. I also like how you tried to integrate the billboards inside the walls with supports and all, rather than just sticking a brush on a wall.

I noticed a lot of missing textures on the top trims in the RA room though. I`m assuming this report from the console had something to do with it:
Code:
trying textures/blic_wall/bricklargebare0137_5_s.TGA...

I also get six skybox-related warnings, they don`t seem to harm anything afaik but I`m noting them just in case:
Code:
WARNING: reused image env/cloudsky/cloudsky_rt.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/cloudsky/cloudsky_bk.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/cloudsky/cloudsky_lf.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/cloudsky/cloudsky_ft.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/cloudsky/cloudsky_up.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/cloudsky/cloudsky_dn.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 am

Wow, it's looking really good now!

The lighting is definitely a bit off. The whole RA room is way too dark and the mega area is maybe a tiny bit too bright. I'd say the "rubble room" behind mega is about the ideal brightness.

Also, I don't think you tried it with vertex lighting because it's really messed up :D. The wall opposite the jumppad near YA is completely black and so is the small teleporter room underneath RA. The whole RA area is also even darker than without vertex lighting.

I like the addition of the rubble beneath mega. It definitely seemed like something was missing there before. I also really like the changes to the RA area. It felt too easy to just fall on RA from above and now there's more opportunity to deal damage in the area, including the jumppad.

Anyway, just fix the lighting and it's looking great for player vs player testing!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 am

@Tiger: The warning always occurs if you use -skyfix.
http://q3a.ath.cx/level_design/errors/#Warningreused

Was that the only missing texture or were there more?

@byce: Yeah... lighting is very uneven atm. I will test it this evening. Indeed I haven't tried it with vertex. Are there even people playing it with this? Only tried out r_lightmap 1.

Is there anyone there tonight or tomorrow for some games? Because as I said, this map actually needs to be finished on Sunday.

What do you think about the RA "entry"? Is it too narrow, or perfect size? I mean crouching was my idea, but as far as the width goes.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 am

Okay here is a, well, a different test. The GAMMA-TEST (Aperture-Sci...., yeah bla)
Please test it regarding item placement (ammo etc., Bots are included)
AND selectable through the menu.
Added some stuff and edited something... (mh place and sand in the backyard mainly)

rombli_gamma

Sorry... have to go. You will read everything in the readme...
Thanks for the time with you!

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Map looks really nice :)
I think tha item placment is good. Don't chnge it too much.
I play with my brother on LAN and gameplay with human is very good.

I saw skybox bug when i looked in some fix nagle on the sky.
Scrennshot from Q3 is strange i don't know why ;/.
In game evrything looks ok.

Attachments:
shot0000.jpg
shot0000.jpg [ 139.8 KiB | Viewed 11397 times ]
Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Seems you forgot to fix the doorway below mega and the one leading from the mega room to the shards near SG (see attachment). Maybe you knew about this but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Still have the lighting issues. The fallen bridge is cool, it's nice to see it all come together :D

Attachments:
2011_07_23-15_57_58-389.jpg
2011_07_23-15_57_58-389.jpg [ 184.51 KiB | Viewed 11336 times ]
Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Are you playing with r_subdivisions 1?
I put caulk onto the faces beneath the patch so there is no z-fighting. That's why there is nothing behind it.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:13 pm

As Bliccer wrote in the readme file, morbus and I will finish this map. We had some organizational problems, but now we should be able to finish the level.

Attachments:
word_6.JPG
word_6.JPG [ 376.39 KiB | Viewed 11282 times ]
Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm making progress with Bliccer's map. Here's the newest secret word as well as the last one (sorry for having forgot to post it yesterday :/)

Attachment:
secretword9thaugust.JPG
secretword9thaugust.JPG [ 268.17 KiB | Viewed 11211 times ]

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 pm

So here is the prefinal by DaEngineer and me. Thanks to him this file is existing. We noted down some things which we can't fix right now, but will for the final mappack release.
Dear judges, have fun with this map and for the rest of you:
Grab it tiger *rawr*

rombli.pk3

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next