View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Roman Duel by Bliccer and DaEngineer 

Post Re: Roman Duel by Bliccer (working title)
Wow did you know that the Romans already had widescreen monitors and 3D? OSM! :D

Attachments:
word_4.jpg
word_4.jpg [ 147.3 KiB | Viewed 7406 times ]
Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 pm

It`s true! The only reason they look antiquated is their architectural preference. And historians like to censor the TV screens to avoid controversy. :P

Looking nice btw. Don`t think I`ve seen many Greek / Roman themed maps.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 am

So here is probably the last update before wednesday in two weeks. The progressbar enlarged itself during the last two days. Reason: Don't have a computer from 17th july until 2nd october. So time is running. And we are doing a video project next week, which will need a lot of time and I also write a last test... so hopefully I have time afterwards.
I think I will upload my map tomorrow (monday) for pre-beta testing. Would be really neat if at least 2 comments would come up... cheers

Attachments:
screen_3.jpg
screen_3.jpg [ 70.14 KiB | Viewed 7388 times ]
screen_2.jpg
screen_2.jpg [ 128.44 KiB | Viewed 7388 times ]
screen_1.jpg
screen_1.jpg [ 138.17 KiB | Viewed 7388 times ]
Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:53 am

It looks really great and Greek :)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:05 am

Like I stated before I won't have time this week anymore. So PLEASE test this map meanwhile. That'd be awesome. One room misses a roof, though, but that shouldn't change anything on the layout or the item placement itself.
Map is HERE: Rombli.pk3 (PREPRE-BETA)

What to look for:
- Item placement (ammo packs, health and armor shards or if there is too much anyway)
- Small brush bugs
- Maybe also some aspects on the light, brightness/coloring (I guess green doesn't fit here though :/)

Maybe an awesome idea for a jumppad?.... Anyone? :D
Or a fix for the mirror bug?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Hey thats looking really nice!
I spotted few small bugs , those spots on the screenshot were the most visible in game and i think you should try to fix that.
Also theres this thing about the lava pit -if you fall in there you can't jump out, but the damage it gives you is quite low so it takes a long time before you actually die there -i suggest you either make it possible to jump out or make it to kill the player much faster.
As for the items, maybe the top YA is a little bit too close to mega.
Texturing and lighting looks very nice, only things that i didn't like were the jumpads and the teleporters -i mean, they look pretty cool by themselves but they don't go as much in the the roman style as the rest of the map. Well but thats just my impression :p

Attachments:
shot0056.jpg
shot0056.jpg [ 192.47 KiB | Viewed 7325 times ]
Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Those mirrors seem to be messing up your r_speeds quite a bit, it reaches 55,000 in some places.

The curved stairs at RA are unconvincing to me, they seem too thin/unsupported.

Theres a ramp-clip on the ledge which you jump from to MH, which I found annoying and think it would be better without it.

When falling into the lava there is no way out except to RJ etc, I think you should make that escapable without guns (it will still be a death trap, but at least one that will give some exciting escapes, rather than mostly drawn out and certain death).

I think I would like to see a brush (ie- crate/fountain etc) which you can jump on once you leave mh through the small hole, or just a ledge, so you can jump onto it and then onto the ya without having to use the jump pad (for vq3 anyway). Also make the small hole have a reason - why is it there, did the architects design it like that, or is it damage?

I think it shows a lot of promise overall. But at the moment it needs more thought on the gameplay. Eg the routes between RA and MH and YAs. They are spaced apart nicely but it seems like the RA area could be more interesting - I usually ask these questions about my major item areas - where do people attack from, where do they defend from, where do they escape to, where can they be headed off, and most importantly, what makes those different aspects fun. And atm I don't really get that in the RA area, it seems to just be "there". But maybe I'm wrong since it can take a while to really appreciate a map.

Hope that doesn't come across too negative, if I didn't mention something its probably because I think its good, I usually don't talk about the good stuff :D

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for your tests so far. I just go into one thing: the ramp-clip. If I delete it it's hard to get up there. but I think it won't be hard to settle this w/o.
I guess I will transform all your ideas into the map.
Ah and one of the genius of the Romans (Vitruvius... I hope I don't say smth wrong), invented the first windmill. That's why the jumppads :D

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:16 pm

That screens looks really good :) But textures seems to be not unified in color.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Thought you are unavailable for several days? :D

Noruen wrote:
textures seems to be not unified in color.

They are all pretty colorless. Saturated a lot. Which textures you mean exactly?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:43 am

Seems like there are many materials, but Romans (if you want to keep realism) used very similar materials (marbles). Only suggestion, no crticism :)

And I'm available via mail etc, but without any necessary programs on my old dying PC :?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:08 am

Hm, haven't seen marble on any of the screens I used. Only concrete and then nice detailed columns, roofs etc. But if I only use concrete it would look too plain.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:56 am

Romans used, not you used. Nevermind.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:53 pm

I meant the screens I took as references :D

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm

The theme is beginning to take off quite nicely - even your lighting is already spot-on, the subtle orange hues around the custom torches.

For the teleporters - I think you should get rid of the mirrors and just make them "normal" teleporters. Like bst said they cause your r_speeds to skyrocket, but in addition if you are at a certain distance from them (roughly 256-512 units I`m guessing) they begin to "flicker" for unknown reasons, which does look quite ugly in an otherwise mostly nice looking map. I like how you`re going for a unique teleporter design, but I think for the sake of FPS and visual quality, they should go.

I agree that you should be able to escape the lava without having to RJ out of it. I also noticed it delivers damage quite slowly for lava. Try raising the lava level so that it is only 16 units away from the edge of the floor. Maximum stepheight is 18, so this allows players to escape the lava. Also, the deeper the lava is, the more damage it seems to inflict, so with this change you kill two birds with one stone.

I like how there is a tiny ledge you can jump on from the YA jump pad to mega. I think it could be made more obvious though without affecting the geometry or changing the difficulty of the jump. Maybe turn it into a different marble texture which still suits the theme, or wood perhaps. (I`m assuming Romans used wood in their architecture as well)

The roof of the structure in the mega room can be partially seen from other rooms which don`t have roofs. You can see some non-caulked faces being drawn and it does look quite unattractive. I know you said there`s one room that unintentionally misses a roof, and patching the whole map with roofs would block out the sky, and the sky does add to the theme. You could either check for uncaulked faces on the back sides of those roof brushes, surround that roof with caulk, (behind the skyboxes ofc) or if realism is desired, raise some of the walls of the rooms surrounding the MH room so that it blocks out the roof from view.

Using windmills for jump pads is a novel idea and they`re constructed with careful attention to detail. But they feel "too slow" to give the impression of propelling a player very high imo. I would make them spin around faster, that way you can keep the windmills without having to replace them with something else. True, in Roman times most simple machines operate very slowly due to the lack of electricity back then, but there is lava in the map, so theoretically it could be said that the windmill jump pads use steam power / thermal energy from the lava to allow them to move at high speeds. :wink:

Hope that didn`t sound too harsh. This arena is showing a lot of potential and we are in need of more uniquely-themed maps like this one, so thumbs up for that. But there are several tweaks that could be made to enhance the overall quality and gameplay.

Good luck with your map.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next