View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 dONKEY (Final Submission) 

Post Re: dONKEY sign up
Some updates:

I've re-coloured the level slightly to make the tones a little warmer to match the sky:

I've made a new jump pad model (based on one of Nunuk's textures):

And I've made a new teleport model (complete with a little looping sound):

Much happier with the looks of the level now, found a lighting style I like and feeling much more positive.
I've done a couple of sound passes which have helped a lot in the general atmosphere of the map, and have found some areas to add the sponsor's logos.
Vis is a pain as the level is so open. I've pulled a couple of tricks to try to control r_speeds and tbh it's bearable.
I intended originally to use a fog hull to control vis, but stupidly I forgot models and fog don't play nice so I had to let that idea go.

Anyway, my word of the week:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:56 am

Really cool designs for the jp and teleporter!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:27 pm

About done I think

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:42 am

Made a short video of my map:
HERE

I thought the level was in its final state, but after some further play testing I realised the lower area where the SSG is needed a further route out, so I've added another teleport in that section, under the overhanging walkway.
It actually makes a lot more sense now as I have tele access to all 3 tiers as well as direct physical routes.

May release a public beta if time.

Hope you like :)

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:51 am

Looks clean. What was a bit eye distracting were the pulsating lights. Maybe you should leave them static. Or at least only let the top row pulsate. The jumppad and the weapon spawns are looking cool.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:51 am

I'm patiently waiting to play this :D .

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Hello, right as some of you may have read, i left a rather harsh and unfair comment on this level. I would like to make a full public apology for my actions. It was uncool, out of line. and just plain not on. dONKEY is a veteran mapper and a really talented designer who i have great respect for. My only defense is that i got in at 3am after a night of heavy drinking and for some stupid reason logged in and left a bunch of useless, bizarre and ill formed comments.

So again. my bad man. i really am very sorry about this. (its not much but ive got one hell of a hangover as penance)

i hold my head in shame :(

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 am

Drunk on the internet, hell yeah! \o

Jokes aside, construction wise this looks a lot better than your past work donkey. The scale seems legit and the overall size seems ok too! Looking forward to trying this out.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:59 am
Profile WWW

Hey, fkd, no real hurt. Let's just forget it.
In answer to your question, the geometry is deliberately stylised. In much the same way as the original geocomp maps tried to emphasize the use of brushwork to add interest and detail to a level instead of the use of high resolution texture, I have tried pretty much to do the same. In the case of this map I chose that style as an antidote to my last three maps which went very much down the route of using textures and texturing to create the style. You are right to an extent that for a geometry based level to truly succeed the geometry itself should be integral to game play, rather than simply providing an interesting visual backdrop. To my mind this map does at least partway achieve that. It could be argued the exterior walls of each area are a waste of tris, but flat walls would have looked out of place. Plus, when not working on a realistic looking level I have a hatred of walls and floors meeting at 90 degrees.
The SSG area for me should have had more detail. Its OK, but because of the smoothing and flat textures alot of the detail gets lost. I had to let the detail go though as control of vis in such an open map was leading me into very dangerous r_speed territory. All my meshes are cut up into small chunks, I've got as much structural caulk in place as possible and I've cut _blocksize to such a small size vis takes over an hour. Despite my efforts r_speeds still spike in two places. In tourney mode (which to me is the best way to play the map) tris doesn't cause much if any problems on my notebook.
I'm going to upload a build shortly as I am working all weekend. For me at least this is a solid release, some parts I'd like to do differently, but I guess that's true of ever map any of us have made.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:22 am

good read. great answer! its nice hearing mappers insights into their design choices, thanks

btw watched the movie and the tp looks really great, nice animation. also, do the cogs on the weaponswawn makers rotate? that would look nice. gg and gl!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Post dONKEY final submission
OK, here is my entry:
Clicky

GG everyone :))))))

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 am

Post Re: dONKEY (Final Submission)
Fantastic geometry work dONKEY!

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2