View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *REQUEST FOR INFO* 

Post Re: Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *ALPHA 2*
Download Beta 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/pasctf4_b1.pk3

List of Changes:

- Gave the map a paint job, obviously. :P

- Added an oil spill under the flames (thanks subst!) which players can slide under to allow players to pass under it without getting hurt and without losing speed.

- Added sponsor advertisements.

- Added team location information.

- Kamikaze returns in Team Arena.

- Extended the upper walkway from SG leading from Medkit to Chaingun, to avoid the appearance of "floating doors".

- Slime changed - now it`s team-colored slime as opposed to the former mercury substance.

- Fixed an issue with jump pads in mid - it was impossible to get onto them if you fell in the slime, forcing you to swim back over to the side and jump again. This issue also significantly hindered bot performance in One Flag CTF and Harvester. These two gametypes should now play with improved artificial intelligence.

To Do:

- Add hinting if needed.

- Add a few more details here and there if needed. Significant layout changes will not be done since the deadline is coming so soon, just minor improvements.

- Added directional markers for easier navigation.

- Possibly create a video showing all the possible trick jumps.

- The TA rune spawn markers still show up in vq3 even though they have the spawnflags "notq3: 1". I`ll look into replacing them with their ThreeWave equivalents to avoid legal issues. Until then, they show up with missing textures.

- The Ready Up Radio ad can be marked by weapon fire, I accidentally used the texture and not the shader. Will be fixed in the next version. No other ads are affected.

Hope you enjoy! Please send feedback!

Attachments:
pasctf4_beta1.jpg
pasctf4_beta1.jpg [ 265.07 KiB | Viewed 12026 times ]
Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 am

Post Re: Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *BETA 1*
Maverick notified me that the map is also available on #uscpmpickup at IP 208.100.42.54:27960. Thanks Mav for letting me know, and thanks Oranje for putting it up!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:48 am

From the screen it looks very nice for a second (?) map. Only know the one you presented on q3w. So, big improvement here.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:54 am

One thing that I noticed that can slow down the speed of a flag run is if a person was to use the lower path they will hit their head on the part where the "Red Base"/"Blue Base" thing is. (at least it did when I used Wolfcam to look at the map--wasn't able to load my Q3 for some reason)

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Nice improvements!

I see you're getting the hang of patch texturing now, although some of the flat-shaded texture trims are still distorted but it's hardly noticable.

The ceiling decorations in the bases don't look too great. IMO the flames could have a little more substance (think: smoke/burnt wall on other side/broken bits of grate on the floor?), and since it's only likely to give you about 5 hp damage, how much of a difference does it make to gameplay? Seems rather insignificant to me.

The bouncepads going up to Guard etc. (I think) could do with a slightly higher target_position to make going straight to mega possible if you air strafe just right.

The doors at the front of the bases could possibly benefit from either opening faster and/or being 2-part and opening horizontally. It's very common to knock your head on the door while it's opening and lose your speed.

The jump-pad shaders have missing textures.

Do you really mean "notq3: 1" and not "notq3" "1"? Because if it is the former then there's your problem! Is that what it says when you look at it in a text editor?

You should make a RoQ cinematic for the map before release! It'd make it seriously sexy in the map selection list (and maybe even a couple in-game cine screens, if you have room for any)! It'd add 5-10MB to your pk3 though.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Just looked at the lamps on the screen again. Maybe you should add something to the light? Right now they look like "Fallout Bunker" lights which don't look too fancy.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 am

i think you have done a great job considering how much mapping xp you have, great layout! your ql xp shows in your design choices. nice one man!

on the gfx side, you really have almost got it. ya stair design and some of ya ceiling work could do with some shine. but all this comes with experience. looking forward to seeing your future work.

well done!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks guys. I`ll make a few adjustments and present the judging release soon. :)

@TheMuffinMan: I checked and it says "notq3a" without the colon. I also tried testing it with "notq3" without the letter A and it has the same problems. I know it can`t be because it`s incompatible with misc_model, because the ThreeWave maps also have rune spawn pads which show up in TA but not in other mods.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 am

Yeah my bad, "notq3a" "1" is correct.

Well I think there is a way to override a brush as a model or some strange thing like that, but you'd have to ask someone like Obsidian at Q3W about that kind of stuff.

An alternative is this - http://www.mediafire.com/file/dun2e2jpo9u2hx7/spawn.pk3 Use patches instead of models and set as func_static entities. Then use custom shaders since we want to make it non-solid and the fact of the matter is that q3 likes to slap 'textures/' in front of texture shader names so we fix that issue with new shaders.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks bros!

Download Release Candidate 1 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/pasctf4_rc1.zip

List of changes:

- Added some directional markers.

- Added a few ThreeWave decals.

- Added ambient sounds.

- Increased the light setting of the flames to make them more visually dramatic.

- Changed the fans in the bases to use simpler 2D effects from their former 3D-brush based appearances.

- Changed the rune spawns to use curve patches as opposed to models, to fix an issue with them showing up in vq3. (Thanks MuffinMan!)

- Lowered the ambient light setting by 33%.

- Raised the lower mid doorways so you don`t bump your head on them, as reported by pikaluva13 and some players on #uscpmpickup.

- Increased the speed of the doors to go 1000 UPS, also so you wouldn`t bump your head. Reported by MuffinMan and some players on #uscpmpickup.

- Raised the target_position for the jump pads in the bases so one can air strafe to MH. (Thanks MuffinMan!)

- Phong shading applied to terrain.

- Lit up the cavernous area behind the glass windows in the bases.

- Fixed the missing jump pad shader issue as mentioned by TheMuffinMan.

- Added 50+ health in mid unless the gametype is One Flag or Harvester.

- Added levelshot. (This levelshot will most likely be used as an entry for a T-Shirt contest if one is planned)

This will most likely be the judging release, if you have any further comments or suggestions let me know. The curve patches are still distorted - I sadly tried using the Matrix tool and re-aligning the rows / columns but it did not work as expected. I hope the judges, however, can provide constructive feedback on this issue. :)

Oh, and below is the last secret word. Fun with hint brushes!

Attachments:
sw10_done.jpg
sw10_done.jpg [ 250.16 KiB | Viewed 11823 times ]
Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 am

Post Re: Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *FINAL*
In the middle on the blue side, the light shining down from above isn't centered :)

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Great job ET. This is a major leap in technical and detail mapping from your last level. You are improving at an exponential pace and I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future. Good Luck!

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks Tom, I`m quite honored to receive such a positive comment from a mapper of your caliber. Good luck to you as well phant. :)

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello,

First off I want to thank Maverick, sponsors and the judges for making the contest possible.

Before I release a final version of my map for the final mappack, I`d like to receive some feedback on planned changes and what you think. It has come to my attention (thanks Anthem for notifying me) that there are some significant balance issues which need to be addressed.

Visuals will remain the same. I realize and agree 100% that the visuals could be improved, but I do have other projects that I`d like to move on to, so I`ll be sure to put more effort over in those arenas. The following changes are purely gameplay-related:

List of planned changes:

- Moved YA in flag rooms to where MH was

- Moved MH to where Medkit was. Medkit removed completely.

- Swapped GL and LG positions. CG remains where it is in TA.

- Removed the grate above the low angled base jump pad next to bars, teleporter now just takes you straight to the platform. This should hopefully make it more difficult to prevent pursuers from coming through. (You`ll need better reflexes for sure!)

- Swapped SG and PG positions. Done in accordance with the previous change, as it is more difficult to hit someone in the air with a PG bolt than with a SG.

- Removed the two RGs in mid in favor of just one RG at the bottom where 50+ health was. Reduces sniping.

- Removed the weapon clip from the grates in mid.

- Moved the YA`s to where the two RGs used to be. 25+ healths take the places of their former positions.

- Reduce the flame noise. (Currently uses the "loud" sound)

Let me know if these changes could help improve the balance / gameplay of the map. Thanks in advance. :)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Post Re: Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *REQUEST FOR INFO*
Bump. Please send in your comments by this Saturday before the mappack is released. Thank you. :)

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next