View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *REQUEST FOR INFO* 

Post Re: Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *ALPHA 2*
Hey, it's looking good! The layout seems like it could be really fun to play. Also interesting idea with that flame trap, although I think maybe it could be made a bit easier to pass it -what about putting some 'oil spil' under it -with slick clip on it so player could crouch/slide under the flame, not losing so much speed :p
Another thing -those jump-pads in the mid, i think you could lower them a little so player could reach them from the pool too.
Also maybe having the doors a bit larger could look better.
Nice work so far ! : )

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Thank you for your suggestions subst.

I like your idea about putting oil under the fire - it allows me to keep the flame shooter while still allowing a fast-paced style of play. I think the professional community would like it a lot, they love being able to make quick captures. :)

I`ll also look into fixing the other issues as well. Overall I`m glad you liked it. And good luck with your map as well. :)

------------------------------------

If anyone else has any suggestions or comments to pass by, please do so. I definitely want to ensure that the layout is optimal before beginning work on visuals, which I might start doing next week. I already have a theme planned out - it`s going to be an underground factory environment that should be fairly reminiscent of Unreal Tournament 2003 / 2004 maps.

Also, I have a legal question for Maverick: I know that there has been a map submitted to the Maverick comp for vq3 which made use of Team Arena textures, which is controversial. Many say it`s illegal, but id has never seemed to enforce it and the map I am referring to (I don`t want to give any negative connotations towards the author so I`m not saying the name of the map / author) has been added to Quake Live. So is it now "safe" to use TA textures in the final version of the map? I know my alphas have used them but ofc it is the final result which will be judged, which is why I am asking. Thanks in advance.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 am
Site Admin

I've always understood it to be that you can't distribute TA textures since they are part of TA and not the Q3A package. Just like you can't create a map using some other games textures since you aren't licensed to distribute those.

Then again, I'm no legal expert and I can't (nor is a judge expected to) evaluate every map for license infractions. This competition expects you to act in the most legally responsible manner; remember that industry people are watching this competition so if they spot you breaking the rules that won't look good. You're better off contacting the authors of 'questionable' material rather than blindly putting it in and risking someone calling you out on it (especially since all the maps are free to download and other mappers may be keeping a close eye on things). If a map is found to be using something not authorized they will be forced to fix the issue.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 am

I see it the same way as Maverick. TA is actually an own game with its own textures and therefore not allowed to use without permission. The final map had the TA textures already? Or after it got into QL? Maybe he already hat negotiations about putting it into QL?

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 am

Affirmative. I will look into replacing the TA textures with DreamCast textures in future versions, since many TA textures were taken from it. Since the DC mappack was released for free it shouldn`t be a problem. Thank you for your time. :)

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:05 am

I ran around on the map. Overall it looks pretty fun to play!

The only thing I really noticed was that with CPM physics it's quite a short trip from flag to flag, since the high route is pretty much a straight path between bases. On the other hand, the flag room looks like a pretty damn defensible area, so maybe there's a nice balance there.

I'm not much of a CTF'er, especially in Q3, so I can't give much feedback other than that :D

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Thank you byce. :)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:44 am

I was reading this at Wikipedia -
An expansion pack titled Quake III: Team Arena was released in December 2000 by id Software. It focused on team gameplay through new game modes and new weapons, items, and player models. Team Arena was criticized, as its additions were long overdue and had already been implemented by fan modifications. A few years later Quake III: Gold was released, including the original Quake III Arena and the Team Arena expansion pack bundled together.

Being its an expansion pak and was released by iD Software I dont understand why it would
be an issue.Doesnt TA use some of the same textures as Q3A? All I know is that when I
installed it ,it screwed up my Q3A. I played it for about a week and got rid of it.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:17 pm
Site Admin

Ok to clarify things I spoke to SyncError just now and:
-You're legally allowed to distribute a map you made, and assets you own/made
-If the asset belongs to someone else or it is protected under a license you cannot distribute it with your map unless you hae permission to do so. This is *regardless* of whether or not you own the game the asset belongs to.

Even though TA and Q3A may have at one point come packaged together you cannot distribute any of those assets with your map since all those assets are illegal to distribute. If the map is designed for TA then it should be called out in the readme; there is no reason to bundle the TA asset with your map since anyone with TA will already have it. Anyone who doesn't have TA cannot properly play the map since they do not have the required files to do so. In other words they should go out and buy TA.

So essentially: the only assets you need to distribute with your map are assets that are custom done and not part of the Q3A or TA install. If you package assets that you do not have permission to distribute then it is illegal.

Quotes from SyncError:
-As far as I know, its not legal to distribute any Q3 or TA assets.
-If (the players) don't have TA, they don't have rights to the assets.
-Maps don't have to distribute any assets other than ones they create.
-You're legally allowed to distribute a map you made, and assets you own/made.
-If (the map is) intended for TA content, then you are supposed to note that in the distro (as most mappers do). This is why they often have two versions available.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Not much has been done since I was waiting for feedback before working on visuals. Hopefully I`ll be able to get some work done soon, although I`ll be moving next week so things could be delayed a bit.

Attachments:
pasctf4_sw4_s1.jpg
pasctf4_sw4_s1.jpg [ 187.09 KiB | Viewed 8038 times ]
Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:36 am

Sorry I`m a bit late... moving is done and right now I have to set up my workstation with mom`s PC due to monitor issues which will hopefully be fixed soon. (hence the vista screenshot as opposed to XP)

Attachments:
sw4_edscreen.jpg
sw4_edscreen.jpg [ 47.56 KiB | Viewed 7955 times ]
Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Practically nothing done this week. Not necessarily because of laziness but because the PC I`m having to use is as slow as **** (and this is after defragmenting). I hope to get my actual PC hooked up this weekend so that I can get back on track.

Attachments:
secretword6_burnret.jpg
secretword6_burnret.jpg [ 164.16 KiB | Viewed 7915 times ]
Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

*sigh*... screw this crap PC. :evil:

Gonna suck it up anyway and try to work with it. :)

Attachments:
sw7_readyup.jpg
sw7_readyup.jpg [ 200.48 KiB | Viewed 7846 times ]
Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Got my old PC back (with XP! Yayz!) and getting back on track. Due to lost time I may stick with a minimalist theme with the E8 set, but hopefully I can make it look nice with that style. :)

Attachments:
sw8_lunar.jpg
sw8_lunar.jpg [ 199.64 KiB | Viewed 7787 times ]
Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Got a lot of work done since the last screenie. I should be posting a beta tommorow. :)

Attachments:
sw9_stretch.jpg
sw9_stretch.jpg [ 200.61 KiB | Viewed 7732 times ]
Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next