View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *REQUEST FOR INFO* 

Post Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *REQUEST FOR INFO*
Name: Ricardo "EmeraldTiger" Stevenson (this is an alias I use, if needed I can provide my real name)

Location: Around the Dallas, TX region (for playtesting / ping reasons)

Email: Patrick77000 [at] gmail [dot] com

Previous Creations: Maximus Overdrive (CTF), Training Day (Duel)

Gametype: CTF, (with TA support) 4v4 or 5v5 works good.

Hope this is enough information. I would love to participate. Thank you in advance, Maverick.

- Ricardo

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Post Re: EmeraldTiger - Signup
Early bird gets the worm! Here`s a screenshot of the (alpha) blue flag room:

Attachments:
pasctf4_sw1_s1.png
pasctf4_sw1_s1.png [ 296.71 KiB | Viewed 25247 times ]

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:32 am

Post Re: EmeraldTiger - Tactical Assault (pasctf4)
Week 2, another screenie:

Will try to have an alpha out soon.

Attachments:
pasctf4_sw2_s1.png
pasctf4_sw2_s1.png [ 263.54 KiB | Viewed 25247 times ]

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 am

Post Re: EmeraldTiger - Tactical Assault (pasctf4)
Alpha 1 available now:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/map_pasctf4.pk3

Comments, suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. The map has a few special features like two flame shooters in the bases, and there`s a few tricks in here, some vq3 and some cpm, but not leaning towards any style in particular.

Known issues to be fixed:

- This map suffers from the same problem that formerly plagued pasctf3. (Maximus Overdrive) There is no bot file. Apparently, when I tried to compile it, it gave me a leaked error, even though the map is in fact sealed. The vis / light compiler works fine without any warnings or errors other than BOGUS (degenerate curve) warnings. Although you can`t play with bots you can look around and give suggestions, and I`ll set up a time to have this map played online. Hoping to get it fixed at some point but not sure how, so if you know what could be causing the problem do let me know.

- The curve patches are really stretched out and ugly in the flag rooms. It`s a QuArK-related problem which I`ll fix in later versions.

- Team location information is missing for now, will work on later.

- No One Flag, Harvester, or Overload support yet. Will add later on.

Attachments:
pasctf4_a1_s1.png
pasctf4_a1_s1.png [ 346.42 KiB | Viewed 25247 times ]

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:21 am

Post Re: EmeraldTiger - Tactical Assault (pasctf4) *ALPHA 1*
Decided to set up a schedule for Saturday, June 18th. It will take place on the CPMA Maverick Competition Server (69.9.166.174:27961). I`ll aim for a time of 12:30 PM Central Standard Time, when pretty much almost everyone is awake, or remind everyone of when it starts. Of course ping times will vary, but it`s not like we`re playing competitively so you`ll be fine.

I hope to get at least a 3v3 going, even though it`s designed for 4v4 games. I can go ahead and make reservations ahead of time, I got a list below. I`ll add your name to the list if you think you might be able to show up and want to do so.

- EmeraldTiger
- pikaluva13
- cityy
- XBookWormxX
-
-
-
-

Maverick, could you add pasctf4 to the CPMA Maverick CTF maplist please? Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:15 pm

I took some laps around the map. It took a few times around to figure out where I was going
:) .

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 pm

That centerfield needs rethinking - its far too open and linear and is bound to be a railwhore fest. My suggestion is to set the bridge at an angle with the YA's on separate platforms next to the RG's, then a middle tower design to block visuals... just an idea off the top of my head. Either way if you leave it as it is I'm certain it'll cripple the gameplay.

I like the mega jump idea, but it should be possible to move directly from mega to the guard platform; so I suggest either opening up the dividing wall or at least push it back a little so that its possible. The former idea might be better combined with the ability to plasma climb off the jump-pad well to the mega.

I'm impressed with your geometry and most of the layout though - you've really improved since Training Day. You even have well-constructed curved stairs leading to the pillar corridor (suspiciously like q2dm1, but anyway! :P ). I'll test that bot issue and give some feedback, but right now I blame QuArK!

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks for your feedback kaustic and TheMuffinMan, I will look into these problems and see what I can do.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 am

here ya go

Just a normal aas compile and works perfectly :?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:58 am

Hmm... it must be my "version" of bspc then. What do you use, out of curiousity? Thanks for the compile though.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 am

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\bspc.exe" -bsp2aas "C:\Program Files\Q3dev\baseq3\maps\pasctf4.bsp"
Pause

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 am

I think you got a good start here.
I agree with what themuffinman said about the center. The line of sight from the "pre-base" through the mid is rather long. Maybe you could have some kind of connection hallway that blocks your sight. That way you could keep the straight mid bridge if you really want to.
I think the height difference between the floors in mid is too high. That makes vertical fights end up in stupid spam and doesn't allow smart rocket jumping either. You should make it a little smaller in my opinion (64-128units!?). Also give the player a path to follow on the lower mid level. Fill unused space with water or something simular (maybe not void/fod though) or create some small height differences to make fights more interesting.
I also felt like there should be a path from the high SG towards the center because movement felt rather cut off there.
Your lower route is a little long. You might wanna look into making it shorter or at least making it appear shorter.

Looking forward to the next version.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

I personally (being a CTF player) found that the map may be a bit difficult for a flag carrier to get in and out of a base to get the flag without dying. The fire shooter also means you have to slow down considerably and crouch under it, or take it full speed and get a slight burn. While this makes for a harder time getting the flag, it also means that the map could be slowed down considerably in terms of capturing the flag. As for the mid-area, I agree that ladders or paths should be included. I'm thinking of something like Troubled Waters where it has the paths to get up to where the jump pad is. I'm not sure, you'd have to experiment with different things. As for the long range of vision problem, what I would suggest is something like the upper-mid area on Courtyard, where it still is short enough to Rocket Jump on, and also allows grenades to be launched over it.

Also, I have a video showing a Plasma Jump to Mega That was my first try doing it and I got it. It's not entirely easy, but at least it is possible. I really like that a person has to strafe onto the wire pillar...thingy (whatever it's called haha) to get to mega, but this also means that a person that can't strafe will be unable to even attempt to get it.

Also, behind where the video starts (over by the YA) I'd consider adding a small ledge thing to jump up to the higher area. This will make the base easier to defend as the defense will have another route to cut off the enemy's route if they take the flag. (I'm thinking of those small box-like CPMA things)

If I have more thoughts I'll continue to include them, but for now I think this works. :)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Thank you very much for your suggestions everyone. And thanks to cityy / pika for helping to test the map, it was a lot of fun. :) (Bookworm couldn`t show up unfortunately, as he said he didn`t have CPM) And thanks to Maverick for putting it up on his servers. I believe I caught a few more problems through online testing than I did through mere offline examinations, which was good.

Here`s the third secret word. Redoing the middle area here in the screenie, a combination of MuffinMan`s and cityy`s suggestions:

Attachments:
pasctf4_sw3_s1.png
pasctf4_sw3_s1.png [ 301.44 KiB | Viewed 25247 times ]

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 am

Post Re: Tactical Assault by EmeraldTiger *ALPHA 2*
Alpha 2 available now:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/map_pasctf4.pk3

Hopefully if the layout and item placement is good or doesn`t need to be sorted out much more, I`ll go ahead and work on visuals. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Bot file included. I got a working version of BSPC from the QuArK website - thanks DanielPharos!

--------------------------------

List of important changes:

- Added a route from the SG to the CG / GL room.

- Added an accelerator pad in the flag rooms, allowing faster access to the curved 5+ health
walkway.

- Added a door to the higher base entrance to reduce line-of-sight.

- Added a grate above the lower hallway in the flag rooms to allow people to shoot through and
potentially stop people taking the lower hallway. (The columns had to be made thinner in
compensation for this change)

- Added support for Team Arena gametypes. (One Flag, Harvester, and Overload)

- Added side trims to some of the stairs to allow for CPM ramp-jumping tricks.

- Centerfield revamped; defined a path for the player with "slime", added columns to reduce
line-of-sight and sniping, made 64 units higher, removed the RG jump pad wells in favor
of more direct jump pads, added grating to the RG beams as an anti-camping measure. (The "slime" is actually some chemical substance like mercury or bromine)

- Changed the MH platform in bases to make it more accessible for inexperienced players.

- Changed the size of the trigger_hurt brush for the flameshooter so it`s less likely to "catch"
players who get up from crouching under it.

- Fixed geometry near the bars in the base.

- Tweaked lighting compile; now uses QUAKE LIVE compile settings with -fast.

NOTE: The kamikaze was accidentally left out, it will be re-included in future versions.

Attachments:
pasctf4_a2_screenshot.jpg
pasctf4_a2_screenshot.jpg [ 160.63 KiB | Viewed 25295 times ]
Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next