View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fluorescent by Ferdinand 'cityy' List (final) 

Post Re: 4vs4 ctf: Fluorescent by Ferdinand 'cityy' List (Alpha 5
Ahh, I tried the jump now and managed it. I found you just need to wait until you hit the ground first and then do the jump, if you time your jump wrong you fall in the pit. It is a neat challenging element, and I`m glad it was made to adapt to both vq3 and cpm physics. :)

This map is starting to remind me a lot of Ironworks, particularly the high architecture and the RG in the middle. But I think it`s different enough, since you have a quad spawning in the middle which Ironworks didn`t have.

I think revamping the central area was a good idea. I felt the original had too many obstacles which got in your way, now you actually have plenty of breathing room, while still providing enough cover for attackers.

I noticed in the red base flag room (and the red base only), there is a floating square with a missing texture, near the sky. I`m assuming this was where you put the week 2 secret word, (WacomIntuos4) and I can tell from the week 2 screenie that this was the case (red base texturing, same location, etc.) I suppose you forgot to remove it. It doesn`t really affect gameplay since it`s up in the air, but I thought I`d let you know anyway.

Quick gameplay suggestion: I like the idea of being able to see the medkit pool / teleporter below the flag, but I noticed that weapons stop at the grate. It might be interesting to take out the weapon clipping while keeping the player clipping; that way defenders can spam grenades into the medkit pool to perhaps prevent the guy from obtaining it, or as a defense mechanism in conjunction with spamming the tele exit. Not really neccessary but it`s something I had in mind.

Keep up the good work, it`s solid stuff.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 am

Ty for taking a look. :) I made the flag grate smaller but removed the weapon clip so you can shoot through now if you want to.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

*Notices the QL logo on the flags*

...already? :P j/k

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:16 pm

No, I just worked in my QL mapping environment as I got most of my textures there anyway. :P

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

Wow, this map is looking really good so far.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but an offender can grab the opposing team's medkit, mega, and YA in like 3-4 seconds. These are probably just placeholder positions, but I thought I'd point that out just in case.

Can't wait to play this!

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:54 am

I agree, looking great so far. I bet it will be much fun to play : )
Maybe there could be a little more space for the teleporter exit.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 pm

Nice looking map City. I like the textures and lighting as well as the layout. I've never been
much for VQ3 or CPM ,but this would lend itself well to InstaUnlagged.There are alot of nice
places for rail jumping and could probably pull off some nice tricks too :D .

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the input guys! Got a screenshot for you:

I didn't have that much time lately and haven't got as much work done as I would have liked to.. Still need to post the secret word, will probably do that tomorrow. :3
There is still so much stuff to do.. Hope I will get the map to a pleasing state in time for the deadline.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

:shock:

...holy crap...

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:44 am

Vewy, vewy nice. Still don't like those big white bricks though. I do like the rest of it, especially the "Blue Base" designation. Thumbs up.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 am

Hm. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but it looks like every other map you made. It's okay though, but it's not my type. Sorry.
But well.. lemme see it again when the rest of the textures is applied.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Why do you think so bliccer? :c

btw, @byce:
If an attacker manages to steal MH, YA and Medkit in 1 run he is not only really lucky but also playing a very bad defender. :P I'd not blame the layout for it.. it's unlikely to happen anyway due to the offset of the respawn times.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile WWW

Cityy, why you use so many lights except light emitting shaders? This must be so expensive during compilation... :)

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 pm

I agree with Nouren that using a light emitting shader would be a better route here, not necessarily because I think it's bad for compile times (I want to say Q3map2 implicitly generates pointlights exactly like you're doing during compiles), but just for the sake of efficiency. Tweaking the color/intensity of that particular light would take a single change in a shader and make your life easier. Just my 2 cents ;)

Oddly, I disagree with Mr Tom about the Blue Base logo, because it seems sort of redundant? I like the flag floor design, though. Will post again when I actually run around in it.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:31 am

Q3map2 creates weird light blobs every few units when you use a light emitting shader for larger surfaces. Im trying to avoid that and getting a constant distribution of light over the trim textures. Also I can have 2 colored light that way.. :b
About the blue base logo: I just wanted to try something new and I can't say I dislike it. I'll add more signs of that style - IMO it's a nice change to the arrows and indicators you see in every other ctf map.
Anyhow, I am slowly making process.. still not as fast as I'd like to but I'm getting there.

Secret word: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15072710/MSGcompetition2011/week5.jpg

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next