View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 kazdm5 by Kaz 

Post Re: kazdm5 by Kaz
I don't know...I could see having oxygen producing plants in an environment such as this...though it would make sense to have some uv lighting in there to support them.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 pm

You could make a few of the windows looking in to terrariums and have some cracked concrete or something that lets some ivy grow out of the terrarium in to the interior of the map?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah, I am unsure about how I'll end up incorporating the plants if at all. I think they can suit such an environment, but it may add too much to the work load to make them fit, so I'll decide as I go on.

Here is a shot from today:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:35 am

Here's another shot

Cityy: I reduced the number of lights by just upping the emission of a single light to be roughly 4x as much and then consolidating the 4 lights per ceiling piece into just one. It worked out pretty well :D I'm curious as to what exactly people said about having too many lights, were they just like "too many fixtures look bad"?

Which blue is better? The last shot or this one?

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:29 am

The old one was better, this one is too purple'ish. Give me something playable and I comment on the lights! :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 am
Profile WWW

very nice kaz

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:21 am

There was an Unreal level that was set in an undersea base. That one was green and crap, but I always loved the theme. Am hoping this will be a Q3 improvement :) Do you have some sharks and fish for the out side?

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Hey - it's been awhile since an update... I just recently re-checked the "post your progress thread" and noticed new words were provided for each week... oops! Hopefully this is not a problem, I'll be checking more regularly now.

http://student.cs.appstate.edu/freemanc ... _beta1.zip
IMPORTANT UPDATE
http://student.cs.appstate.edu/freemanc ... bspaas.zip

Anyway, I've manage to get to another beta stage, some issues I'd like to hear about would be:

item placement
layout
bot play
how to make it feel more "underwater-y"

Thanks for the comments so far. @donkey, yeah dm-oceanic from ut2003 right? those sharks were really cool i want some!

Last edited by Kaz on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Hey, Kaz. Thanks for posting an update! I am really looking forward to playing this when this map is finalized.

I want to express my excitement about the theme you adopted for this map. It is quite interesting, and I haven't really seen anything like this in q3 before. I wish you luck in completing it.

Anyway, the layout seems nice. There is a beautiful flow between the levels, and the weapons also seem to flow nicely. The rocket launcher was a bit hard for me to find at first, but that's because I wasn't really looking for it. I think it's fine how it is, but if others find the location troubling then I recommend changing it.

The grenade launcher originally seemed a bit out of place on the top of the jump pad. In the worst position, jump pads can be some of the most hindering obstacles in a map. Using one requires the player to give up his or her ability to control essentially where he or she is going, and the momentum upward can lead the player right into a trap, or into the shaft of a lightning gun from below. In maps such as q3dm6 I tend to neglect the central jump pad for this reason. However, since there is a rocket launcher at the top of it I sometimes take that chance in order to secure myself with a good weapon with which I am able to defend myself. With your clever placement of the Quad Damage at that level, the grenade launcher seems to be balanced. It is capable of defending that area while not being too powerful (such as having railgun and quad right next to each other), so I applaud you for that.

I made some notes of what I think could help the central area:

I feel as though this little gate thing on the floor should be turned into glass, similar to the windows throughout the map (to expose players to the water even more).

Z-Fighting:

If there were platforms here (and on the other side) with health (25s most likely), I feel it would help make the top platform a bit more useful when quad isn't there yet. These platforms would also add another jump area for players on that level rather than just jumping for quad.

I also tinted the rock texture you used for the outside of the windows. It seems to fit the theme more easily than the original.

Here is the texture if you want it:

I also feel it would be interesting to use ambient lighting to tint your map a certain color and to lower the amount of light that is in the map. The glowing lights in the ceiling overhead should be highlighted as it contributes to the atmosphere of the map. I also think there should be a few more places where there are shiny textures as they "soften" areas in which they are used. It would also be interesting to have a portion of the map flooded (not enough to break the gameplay, just enough to notice). A small leak of some kind in a window could be enough to flood one of the floors of the map. However, the realistic pressure on that small leak could be enough to break through, so it's your call on that.

Good luck in the competition. This map is coming together brilliantly, and I'm sure that I am not the only one watching it closely.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:
[14:12] <@Maverick|MSG> I had to mix the meat by hand

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:15 pm

How about making a shader of fishys swimming infront of the glass?

Ok played it now.

1. The top-windows are leaked (you can get outside trough them and hide there)

2. Even if its TDM (or because of the fact that it is TDM) you still need some bigger Items (Mega/Red) somewhere in the Map, or it will get uber boring and the team getting quad will instawin.

That's it for the moment.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 am

I'll reply to your comments in depth soon, but for right now I've updated the last post with a link to a properly lit BSP and updated AAS. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Anthem: I'll add some platforms in the next beta, I like that idea. I've swapped to one of the standard id textures for rocks, I didn't like that red one either. As for your suggestions about shiny textures, the lighting, and leaking areas, I'll definitely keep that in mind as I continue to detail areas.

WTF: I'll clip those windows, and I'll have to get some people playing on the server sometime soon so I can change around the items in a more directed fashion.

Thanks to both of your for your feedback!

Here is an editor shot:

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Just wanna say, I just had a blast playing this.

Loads of room to move, never looking for a weapon for long...seems pretty well balanced.

If it were me I would really pump up the theme now. Maybe some bubbles or something outside the windows, something to make it obvious it's underwater. Maybe some water caustics on the interior walls? I'm getting FPS well over 800 every where. I think you can afford more detail.
How about some rusty decals? Some of the metal work beginning to corrode or some of the glass cracked and leaking, puddles of water forming inside the base. That kind of thing.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:22 am

+1 for what others have already said.

+Sounds - water, dripping, pumps, machines.
+Details - puddles, drips, leaks, rust, fish, plants, bubbles, cracked glass.

Items - I wouldn't place things like ammo boxes in the middle of hallways, put them at sides/corners.
Place important items like weapons/PUs in prominent positions.

textures/style - Maybe it's just me, but brick/stone don't work in an underwater area. (Unless it's a cave/pool etc)
I'm expecting it to be modular and tech, like something that was taken underwater and put together
or something. Like the Looking Glass station in Lost, or the rig from the film The Abyss ;)
Maybe not quite so life-like, but that sort of style. EDIT: iirc BioShock? did it quite well though, so maybe I'm talking nonsense :)

It really doesn't feel like your underwater, with potentially massive pressure crushing the structure.
So, +water, +sounds, +machinary?, +sealife! :)

Looks like I'm also missing textures outside the windows, just getting a white HoM effect.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for the reply donkey/akm, I've been working on trying to make it more underwater-y; it's slow going. All of your suggestions are good, I'll just have to see how much I can implement before the end rolls around. Here is some progress (I'll remove all the decals from the logos if I have to, just let me know):

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next