View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 dk_ctf_ng2-Final submission 

Post Re: dk_ctf_ng2
dONKEY, I beg you, fix the lightning :|. I'm very sorry to write it, but it hurts my eyes to play this map. Half of the map is black, and other one is almost too bright. I belive I have well set up vid options, never really had any problems with gamma etc, stock or custom maps. So I dare to say that your map really is too dark. I could agree that it looks how it actually probably should look in real jungle. But it's a game level, and players want to play on it, not visit only. Also there are a lot of places where you have bright texture, and light bleeds out from it. Please correct this.

Other thing is a bridge, tbh I would suggest making it wider. Right now it's hard to now to fall of it when you have rocket flying over your head :). Also I'm not sure it's good that you can access it only from one side of the base. After grabbing the flag, if fc want to use the bridge has only one way/route to do this. It is very easy to defend path to brigde, and in the end block it.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile WWW

The lighting is still in work...
I haven't done a final light compile yet. I think -gamma and -bounce will solve most of the issues.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:07 pm

At work, bored so thinking. Actually I could quite easily allow access to the bridge from the ground level. If I extend the centre area on one side I can build some broken stairs/masonary that allows the player to get up.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:31 am

run a -bounce 6 -gamma 2 -compensate 4 light compile, looks much better. Fear not ShadoW, lighting will be awesome.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:47 am

I found a texture on "Eastrun" by bEnz and recolored it a bit. I replaced your flagstone texture with it (using a separate pk3) and I like it more than the texture you currently have. Perhaps consider using something like it?

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:
[14:12] <@Maverick|MSG> I had to mix the meat by hand

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Nice atmosphere :)

Few things though..

:: Many areas are still too dark, especially the corridoors into bases and MH areas. Areas lit by the sky are really bright, everywhere else is really dark :(
:: MH area, needs some plants/details also I think.
:: Clipping needs improving for better player flow, trying to cap on here could be
pretty frustrating without really good clipping.
:: Flag location is a death trap (imo). I'd bring the flags out of the wall recess at least.
:: Base Jump-pad infront of the flag with LG nearby will make that route useless in a quality CTF match :) (Probably throws you a little high too) Maybe LG could be placed further away, so an attacker would have to bring the base def an LG at the least?.
:: Not quite sure why there are doors around RA? Probably not needed.
:: Even though it's a small map, I think some more base colour is needed. Might spoil the atmosphere, but players need the colours to navigate to bases quickly.

EDIT: Just a few shots to show some suggestions, rather than trying to explain.
Oh, add some CTF spawns please :)

Attachment:
dk_ng2_ctf_p1.jpg
dk_ng2_ctf_p1.jpg [ 125.1 KiB | Viewed 18032 times ]

Attachment:
dk_ng2_ctf_p2.jpg
dk_ng2_ctf_p2.jpg [ 89.21 KiB | Viewed 18032 times ]

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 am

I had hoped to get a final beta up today. But failed. Made quite a few changes to the last test. One of the towers to the side of the centre area now has an interior that can lead up to the middle tower where the regen is. The flag towers are now cut through the mountain behind the flag so there is a passage that runs to the MH cave. I think that makes defending harder and offence less suicidal.
I have fixed the lighting too :)
My bot file went a bit nuts though which is why I haven't uploaded the beta. Bspc created some tiny clusters that I need to kill in the flag bases which means the bots won't see the new passage behind the flag. Ran out of time before work. Might get it fixed later tonight.
Again thanks for all the help guys.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 am

aggggghhhhhh, bot clusters are driving me freaking mad. Normal strategies for controlling clusters are not working. I'm guessing this is due to using areaportals. Kinda stuck at the moment.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Finally, a final beta
FINAL BETA

As stated above, added a new route from the lower central area to the regen platform. Added a route from the back of the flag area to the MH area. Fixed lighting.

I don't intend to do any more structural changes.
I have time to fix minor issues like clipping, but that's about it.
Bots still play like ass. The time I have left, assuming nothing goes wrong at work, I want to spend building a new bot level. I've had to use some really nasty hacks to try to fix tiny bot cluster creation issues, and at this point I am really not happy with the result. On the plus side the map has bot support, but I know I can and should get it better than it is right now.

R_speeds are still really high, but I can't do any more there.

If my sponsor image sign boards are against the rules I can easily remove the glass. I like the effect so I hope it's OK.

Let me know if there are any major issues.

Thanks guys.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:42 pm
Site Admin

dONKEY, I just tried out the map to see the logos, and you have them rotating, rather than being on dedicated areas billboards. Each sponsor logo needs to be shown statically, rather than being rotated. Also, the glass you have on the logos needs to be removed as well. Not sure why though, but the logos look really dark as well.

Also, when I spawned the first time I was stuck in a wall.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Maverick wrote:
dONKEY, I just tried out the map to see the logos, and you have them rotating, rather than being on dedicated areas billboards. Each sponsor logo needs to be shown statically, rather than being rotated. Also, the glass you have on the logos needs to be removed as well. Not sure why though, but the logos look really dark as well.

Also, when I spawned the first time I was stuck in a wall.

That was likely because you didn't have it set to CTF. In other gametypes the default spawns include those designated for spec. (They are clipped to solve a door issue.)

Beta looks good. Some small clipping errors, just ensure that all pillars and corners are clipped for ease of access. I like the other areas you added in mid. It makes it less linear. I still recommend changing that flagstone texture, but it's passable.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Required post:

I think I am finished.
I should really completely rebuild the bot map as the clustering is still borked, but I just don't have time in real life.
The map looks good and on Hardcore the bots play OK. 2V2 CTF seems to be most fun.
Will post a link to the final when the competition closes.

Many thanks to all those that have helped out.

dk

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 am

Looks nice. Good luck with your entry!

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:21 am

Haven't really given you much feedback on this one, but I've followed it nonetheless: good job and good luck!

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey no worries and thanks. Glad I hadn't actually published the finished level. Just discovered last night I forgot to add surfaceparm nomarks to some of the decal shaders!

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next