View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 dk_ctf_ng2-Final submission 

Post Re: dk_ctf_ng2
Another similar shot, hopefully that makes more sense. This is based on Angkor Wat, a monumental temple complex, partially reclaimed by the rain forest. I've been working all day, but added sound layers and alpha texture passes when I had the time. Tris is still pretty stupid, but it does look and sound that good :)
@cityy, darker palm trees :)

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:35 pm

are you going to get this in there somewhere?

Angkor Wat, Cambodia, ta prohm, by red betty black

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:34 pm

That was one of the original pieces of inspiration. I have a similar area but cant add in the big tree and roots any more...well I could but tris count is way too high.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 pm

ash go for the tree anyway :)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:32 pm

I posted this on Q3W too...I'm stuck. I've added areaportals and doors to help with vis, but in spectator mode I cant get through the doors like I should, I end up with a HOM effect and sometimes get stuck in the void. They work properly in normal play, just spectator mode. I was thinking it was something to do with models, but like I said this ONLY happens in spectator mode.
Anybody got any ideas? If I can fix this I can add in that damn tree!!!!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm

I don't think it's your map. I get the same issue with default q3 maps in spectator mode. Try loading DM2 or DM8 and test the doors there just to verify. It's annoyed me but I've never tried to really look for a solution.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:09 am

I vote for implementing the tree as well. ;)

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 am

This is highly annoying. I live and work in Singapore and for some reason this site is blocked. I'm having to get to it through Tor, which is routing my IP through a UK server.
I have added the tree :)
Also have spent all my spare time trying to create a bot file. The geometry was too complex and killed bspc.exe, so I tried to use -fixaas. Sock tutorial was incomplete, but I managed to work out the missing info. So to cut a long story short my map will now have a functioning bot file, which I never thought it would.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Really glad you were able to make this work dONKEY! BTW, would you mind sharing the incomplete part of sock's tutorial with us?

Also, when can we see this???...I'm so looking forward to checking out this map! :)

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Download link (about 18mb): CLICKY

So this is a very first beta. I have some known issues:
-r_speeds, don't even go there....but it is playable, my laptop keeps fps above 300.
-jump pads need tweaking, you bump your head jumping up from the central court yard up to the 45 degree corridors towards the base areas.
-jump pads from the catacomb area have triggers that are too big, which means you tend to get stuck a couple of times
-bot clustering is still poor. They tend not to use the catacomb route at all. I will look at this but seeing as it took ages to create a bot file, I'm glad I even got this far!
-weapon and item placement....hmm....I am crap at this...so I really need help and advice.
-Lighting...now for me on my laptop it looks awesome...is it too dark on other monitors? I only have laptops so have never seen it on a monitor.

Any advice/comments very welcome!
I don't have time for structural changes now, so this is mostly about tweaking stuff.

oh, yes the -fixaas issue:

I followed Sock's article....but, at least for me I found the -fixaas switch broke the .aas file. So...
-Create your bot only version of the map.
-compile it and create an aas file that does NOT use the -optimize switch
-change the name of the .aas to the same name as your real map
-compile the real map with -fixaas set. DO NOT RUN BSPC.EXE HERE THOUGH
-grab a hex editor. Hexedit is free and easy. Open the renamed aas file and edit the first four entries. -fixaas seems to break these. Change the entry to: 45 41 41 53 then save.
-run bspc.exe on the map (no need to run q3map2) with -reach -optimize set

And that's all folks :)

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:03 am

Ah cool.
It's very dark inside though, it's like the lamps almost emits no light at all...

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks for looking Hipshot.
I've been worried about the light issues. Am aware laptop screens show brighter. I will attempt to brighten things up in the interior areas next time.

ah forgot to say...the spectator spawns in clip, which is deliberate. I needed to keep the areaportal doors, and there seems to be a Q3 bug about that, so the easiest solution was not to allow the spectator to free fly around.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:28 am

seems like I'm spamming...really not just forgot this weeks secret word:
It's technically not in my level map file, this time it's placed in my bot navigation map, as that is what I worked on all week.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:40 am

(the first beta i've checked really :oops: )

1) Yeah, it's too dark for me too.

2) And yeh fix those r_speeds

3) I didn't play the map with bots, just made a quick run thru it and I think it would be a good idea to add a high path in the middle room lemme draw a professional scheme.

Also I think the gameplay would benifit from removing the marked jump pads (with the bride added) Of course the bride doesn't have to look like the one i've sketched.

4) You should add a power up in the middle of the map, maybe below the bridge.. either quad or regen probably. Also optionally a medkit per base.

5) Weapon placement needs some tweaking, rail being in the middle of the base isn't really a good idea.

6) Another thing that bugs me, the bases need more colour. It should be able to tell right away in which base you currently are.

7) And last but not least clipping needs some work, but you surely know about it.

I really love the theme, great work dONKEY

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:49 am

Nice ;)

Little bit dark though

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next