View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sponsors List - Finalized! 
Site Admin

Post Sponsors List - Finalized!
A huge thanks to every sponsor who has helped support this competition:

May 1st, 1st announcement:
Crucial.com has generously donated 3 kits of 2x2GB DDR3 Ballistix PC3 memory

Sat May 01, 2010 1:31 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Sponsors List
May 10th: Second sponsor announced:
Autodesk has donated 2 copies of 3ds Max and one copy of Mudbox

Please note though:
Due to licensing restrictions with Autodesk software, 3ds Max and Mudbox are only available to North American winners only. In the event that a non-North American winner wins a prize substitution will occur. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:13 pm
Site Admin

May 18th: Third sponsor announced:
Planetside Software has donated one copy of Terragen 2 Deep and one copy of Terragen Classic. Both of those programs can be used to create some beautiful terrain and skyboxes.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:14 pm
Site Admin

And lastly:

AMD, ATI, and SAPPHIRE Technology have come together again to sponsor the competition.

SAPPHIRE Technology has donated one SAPPHIRE HD 5770 1GB graphics card with support for ATI Eyefinity

A huge, gigantic, epic thanks to every single sponsor who have helped make this competition what it is. I hope everyone thinks of these companies first the next time they need hardware or software.

Thu May 27, 2010 1:55 am

Post Re: Sponsors List - Finalized!
Hehe :) I already own an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition CPU...

But really nice from them to sponsor such a competition.

Thx from me

Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 pm

WTFProoF?! wrote:
Hehe :) I already own an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition CPU...

But really nice from them to sponsor such a competition.

Thx from me

If they donate prizes, it will probably be Sapphire video cards.

Fri May 28, 2010 1:21 am
Site Admin

The way I understood it, ATI doesn't make any video cards, much like NVidia doesn't. They just make the GPU and resell that to other manufacturers who package it into their own products. Hence you get something like a Sapphire HD 5550 Radeon video card.

Edit: here's a list of their current video cards.

Fri May 28, 2010 12:02 pm

They do have reference boards, so and "OEM" cards, but those are still probably made by someone like Foxconn.

Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Are these images the actual sizes the logos have to be in-game?

Also, do the logos have to be static or can we animate them (swap sponsor logos every 5 seconds with a shader to swap the textures)?

I have no problem making a unique sign for every single logo I just think animating the signs to swap through the logos would be an interesting effect that would really suit the theme I'm going for in my map.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:11 pm
Site Admin

Oh no no, these definitely aren't the real ones. A majority of them have sent me high resolution versions, which will be what is used by you guys. Once they are given to me I'll package them all up and post a download link; if I don't have the full set soon I'll just post what I've got and update this post when the rest of them come in. Sorry about the delay on this, I was expecting to have them already.

Due to each company having separate restrictions about how their respective logo can be presented, every logo has to be static and not in any kind of rotation. No overlays, animations, or changes can be made to the graphic.

If it helps, a majority of the graphics are on black backgrounds.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Ah ok.

One last question, would it be ok if we added the logo of another company to our map? I'm thinking about offering to put the logo of the old game developer I worked for in to the map but I'm not sure how that would work since they never donated anything to the competition in terms of prizes.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:04 pm
Site Admin

Hm, I'm definitely not comfortable with that to be honest. In getting the sponsors in I had to have them all get together and make sure they weren't competiting, since they all need to be the exclusive sponsors for their particular market they service. Sorry about that.

Having said that...I was speaking with some of the mappers in the IRC channel about potential sponsors and the idea of a sponsor donating an internship as a prize came up. Maybe your previous employer might be interested in doing that for the next competition?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Not a problem, I understand. It was just something I wanted to check on.

All of the interns that work for the company are swept up from the local university that's about a mile away from the office :) They might be able to donate some copies of their games or something along those lines though if they're interested at all. I still haven't actually spoken with them.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Site Admin

Hah, yeah I can imagine getting someone to donate an internship might be a bit difficult given the lack of credentials. Ah well. Sorry about the inability to put up other logos, it is just kind of a touchy subject.

Next competition I'll get in contact with you about the potential sponsorship. That would be cool if they could donate games or whatever.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]